Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It's RAINING in Concord!


I can't believe my eyes.. it's raining! Prayers do get answered... I was out with the kids about 4pm this afternoon and it was 102 degrees out there. I said a little prayer for SOMETHING to change about the weather - it's been over 90 deg each day for almost a month now and no rain for longer than that.

We got home and I finished up some stuff for work (I telecommute for a 'major financial institution'). I wanted to go out to work a bit more on the coop. I'm going to bury wire around the perimeter to keep anything from digging under to get to the chickens. At any rate, I went out to measure to cut the wire and there was a big dark cloud blowing in from the southwest. By the time I went back in the outbuilding to cut the wire to size, it actually started RAINING!! It's been raining now for about an hour. Although I'm not getting my coop finished, I sure am glad to get a break in this heat and drought! You can tell how dark it got from these pics and also where I've been digging to start the project of critter proofing the coop.

Another good thing about the rain is that it gave a good test of my new weather-resistant feeder I found. I was looking for a feeder that would resist the rain, and finally found something reasonable at Walmart. It's a 'squirrel-proof' feeder that is made of painted metal and has a nice roof and sides. I took off the squirrel perch that closed off the food if something heavy landed on the feeder, and rigged it with a chain so I can raise it as the chicks grow. After the heavy rain and wind, the area where the feed would be is dry as can be!

1 comment:

Buster's Chickens said...

hey susan, i love that idea of a feeder. i'm going to walmart and look for it and rig one up for my girls. thanks for the suggestion!