Friday, August 17, 2007

Our Chicken Saga Begins...

I've wanted chickens ever since I was a little girl. When I was growing up, we had a rental house in another town and we would go up to the rental house several times a year to do maintenance, etc. The name of the house was 'Greene Acres" because it was in a mostly rural area and the neighbors had pigs and cows and....CHICKENS! A big thrill was going up to Greene Acres and helping the neighbors collect eggs.

I had toyed with the idea of having chickens off and on as pets and for the eggs since having my own home, and finally decided to make the plunge this summer. My husband didn't seem TOO upset by the idea, so with the help of the kids we picked out our chicks one Sunday evening. They hatched out on Monday and were shipped to us immediately via US mail.

Tuesday morning the Post office calls... we have, um, some baby chicks for you??!!??

Off we go to the post office with all four kids in tow. What fun to have the clerk bring out the box and hear the little peeps coming out! I opened the box with some trepidation, a bit worried that we may have not had 100% healthy arrival, but there they were - the 7 chicks we ordered and a 'spare' thrown in for a total of 8 healthy and active chicks.

Of course, everyone in the postoffice had to have a look ("you can get chicks through the MAIL??"), and the clerk even showed us a box full of day-old quail chicks. The quail were no bigger than a quarter - too cute!

We headed straight home and got the girls into the brooder pen I had set up on Monday. I was glad then I had stayed up late fixing up the pen, and did our chicken supply run on Monday rather than waiting until Tuesday!

So, began our Chicken saga....

No comments: