Monday, January 7, 2008

22 weeks and counting.....

STILL no eggs from our girls! It's come down to a 3x a day check for eggs with bitter disappointment so far....

Their combs are red, they are squatting for us and they have a light on in their coop in the early morning to extend the daylight hours. I suppose this is another lesson in patience for me, who needs so much help with being patient!

The new babies are growing fast - I separated them into two brooder pens yesterday, as 19 chicks in one pen had gotten to look like wall-to-wall feather carpeting. Now we just wait to see how many girls and boys we have. The cockerels will have to find new homes but the girls will become part of our flock or will go to a friend.

The silkies are still growing like crazy too. We had the coldest weather of the year last week, and they did great outside with their heat lamp in the coop. They are nothing now but little moving piles of fluff - too cute! When I find 5 extra minutes I'll grab some pictures to post. In the meantime, you can watch on the Chick-N-Cam. I'm broadcasting the outdoor pen during the day and the brooder after dark.