Friday, January 18, 2008

Sad News....

I have some sad news to share today. I went out to the coop to do my morning check and found Hoppy, the one legged silkie, had died during the night. From the looks of things, she either got pushed out, or went out of the barn during the cold and damp night. She must have gotten disoriented in the dark and couldn't find her way back, and died from exposure.

Working with Hoppy was always a roll of the dice from the beginning. Many experienced chicken folk would have told me to euthanize her once her infirmity was apparent at a day old. I couldn't bring myself to euthanize a chick that was otherwise very healthy, and just needed a little extra help to get to the food.

Once they moved out to the coop, she was doing really well with her eating, and actually had started to grow a bit more, but never did seem to have a zest for life like the other chicks. While they were out scratching around in the run, she would be huddled in the corner of the barn, just sitting. I don't know how aware chickens are of their own quality of life, but I just didn't think she was a happy chicken, and many times I had second thoughts about whether I made the right decision in giving her so much support those first few weeks.

Sometime during the night, her fight ended. RIP, little Hoppy!